Saturday, March 1, 2014

More bowl work

Keeping the bowl in a bag when not being worked upon is a good idea and has slowed or eliminated the checking that began to plague me on his project.

I've taken a bit more out if the interior, steepening the inside walls. I am also working in getting the rim smooth. The axe is much better at traversing the grain. The sides are too thin to get a good purchase and the tool is tending to dive deep and tear the wood. I'm sure it needs a bit of sharpening at this point...

With limiting myself to two tools, the axe and the gouge, you really have to apply the tools correctly and in the right way. The axe for the straight bits, and the convex surfaces, the gouge for the concave areas. So today is the first time the gouge saw the outside of the bowl. I've been having issue with getting the endgrain finished off nicely. It is too fine a work to be struck with the axe, yet too rough to be shaved off. This is part of the learning experience, and I'm sure with greater proficiency with the tool this wouldn't be an issue. But the presence o these protruberances could easily come up into a handle of sorts or at least a design element, so I did up the one end with the gouge.





No comments:

Post a Comment