Wednesday, May 23, 2018

staple, or snipe hinges

more on the topic.
here is a more proper snipe hing, how to make it:
Forging them like this will make them stronger and therefore easier to drive through the holes.

Here is another blogger posting on how to install them:
His orientation of the heads is important.  i'm not so sure about driving the lid onto the hinge, but if this guy does it that way there must be merit.  I'll try it with the next ones I do.

Much of the interwebs thinks these are a colonial american hinge, and while they certainly were used a lot then (or at least, many have survived)  there are also extant examples from english and continental chests.  Here is an English or continental example from 1550's

 This is an English example from 1680's

Here is a 17th c oak frame and panel blanket chest with snipe hinges:
 and a detail of the hinge:

This is an English 6-board chest from 15th-16th c.:

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Staple hinges on a Six-Board Chest

These are nice quick utilitarian chests that can be knocked together in a few hours.  Hardware for the box can be an issue however.  Nice blacksmith-made hinges can easily run $45 for a pair, and hinges from the home center are all too modern-looking.  But with a staple-hinge, the materials are about $25 at various lumber yards or home centers.  12 feet of 1x12, a few nails and some wire do the trick.
On this box I compass scribed arches for the feet.  I had the pieces cut to length and sitting on a pile for about 2 years, left over from a previous box class.  Note that the ends are cut away to allow a spot for the sides.  this makes the interior of the box slightly smaller.

For hinges, I went with staple hinges.  These are very easy to make.  Two lengths of wire are bent over and interlaced with each other.  A gimlet, twice the diameter of the wire, is used to wymble the holes for the hinge.  You'll need at least two hinges, more if the lid is long or heavy.
Notice how the wire loops around, and bends back the other way to decend away from the loop.  this helps keep it tight so the hinge action is less floppy, and it looks better against the wood.

Pick a spot for the hinge, not too far from the end, and cut a small notch in the top outside edge of the back, where you want the hinge to be.  
 Then, use the gimlet, or a drill, to make the holes for the hinges.  try to keep this at about a 45 degree angle.
 Drive the hinges into the lid first.  I had a rough time of it as the wire was still rather soft.  I ended up pushing them partly through, then pulling with pliers.
 Then, Mount the other leg of the hinge into the back board of the box.  Bend over the end of the wire, and drive them down into the wood.
 here's what it looks like on the inside:
A hasp can also be made from the same wire, with two staples, one to hold the hasp to the lid, and another in the front for the hasp to hook around.

So there you have a nice wooden box for your medieval stuff.

Friday, January 26, 2018

Wood work

Thanks to miles bowman for some fine mahagony I can make this frame for an hourglass

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Monday, October 30, 2017


Rained 29th oct all day and night, into the 30th. Medium flood level, not to the garden

Thursday, August 24, 2017

A great lot of weeding

A great lot of weeding today. A out half the garden is empty. The garlic failed, among other disappointments. The leeks are doing well an considerably tastier than the ones from the market. Tomatoes are finally getting good, bu as they are a new world crop, we won't talk about them.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Weeding and mulching

Hot today. In the garden are: garlick zucchini tomatoes calendula nasturtium leek